A Whole Foods Plant Based Recipe - Arugula & Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas and Apples
Here is a delicious recipe for a quick and easy salad that you can put together for lunch or dinner (I just made it up after returning from my afternoon training swim!).
Arugula & Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas and Apples
You will need:
- 2 - 3 cups arugula (depending on how big you want your salad)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (great way to use leftover quinoa since this is a cold salad)
- 1/2 organic fuji apple, sliced thin and then cut into small pieces (or more, if desired)
- 1/4 cup garbanzo beans
- small handful walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 - 2 shallots, chopped
- brown rice vinegar
- 1 - 2 tsp dijon mustard
- walnut oil, to reach desired consistency
To make the dressing, place chopped shallots in a bowl and pour brown rice vinegar over shallots until they are covered. Let sit for 10 - 15 minutes. Add dijon mustard and stir. Add walnut oil and stir until you reach desired consistency for dressing (I only used 1 tsp with 1 tsp dijon mustard) - you will not need much oil.
Place arugula in bowl. Add quinoa, apples, chickpeas, and walnuts on top. Pour dressing on top (I use just a little dressing, just to get the taste of the flavors).
So easy and so delicious!!
Try this salad with different fruits, such as oranges or raspberries, with or without the garbanzo beans. You can also add other greens, such as baby spinach or mixed baby greens. Experiment and be creative!